Pages

Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Ginger Sweet Rolls - #BreadBakers





I have been sitting here for a few hours, trying to think of what to type. I just cannot seem to think of anything. Let me not waste your time or mine and skip the rambling. It's another Bread Bakers day and this month's theme is a great one - root vegetables! I have a minor obsession with carrots and up to a couple days ago, these rolls were going to have carrots in them. But I just didn't have enough carrots so I ditched the carrots and stuck to potatoes and ginger.

Potatoes make the dough really fluffy and soft. I am a ginger fanatic and it works beautifully here. I used fresh ginger but you could use powder. Of course, you would need much less. The ginger is pretty strong, by the way, so if you only want a hint of ginger, these rolls just aren't for you.

I am sending a few rolls off to school with my nephew - not for him but for his teacher. These rolls will not be wasted on that picky little one. Hopefully, she will love him too.



Have a great Tuesday and as always, scroll down to see all the other breads made with root vegetables this month! Thanks for a great theme, Karen!


Ginger Sweet Rolls

Ingredients
Dough
115 grams potato, mashed
60 millilitres oil
50 grams brown sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon salt
480 grams flour
7 grams instant yeast
150 grams water* (preferably water used to cook the potatoes)

Filling
1 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
4 tablespoons finely minced ginger
1/2 cup softened butter

Directions

Beat together the potato, oil, sugar, egg, and salt. Add the flour and yeast then slowly add water. *The water content of mashed potatoes varies so do not add all the water at once. Add enough water so that when kneaded, you have a soft, tacky dough.

Place the kneaded dough into an oiled bowl then cover and let rise until doubled. The time this takes depends on the temperature of the room .

Toss the brown sugar, cornstarch, and ginger together.

When the dough has risen, divide the dough into half. Roll out the first half to an  8" x  12" rectangle. Spread half of the softened butter across the dough then sprinkle on half of the sugar mixture. Starting along a short side, tightly roll the dough up. Slice the dough into one inch slices and place in greased baking pans. I got 18 rolls and used two 9 inch pie plates and put the rest in a muffin pan.

Cover the pans and let rise until very puffy. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350 F.

Bake the rolls 15-18 minutes or until lightly browned but set and the dough registers 190 F.

Notes
  • Shredded coconut is an excellent addition to this. I did that with half the rolls. .
  • A glaze would be great. In fact, I think that's the second best part of a sweet roll. I love glazes but I just can't make them. They just never seem to look right so I tend to avoid them. Is there a glaze making school?



BreadBakers








#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. Follow our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated each month on this home page.

We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient.

If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send Stacy an email with your blog URL to foodlustpeoplelove@gmail.com.
post signature

7 comments:

  1. Delicious bread. I really like ginger, so this bread will love it. Thanks for recipe Kelster

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love ginger, and I'm sure using potatoes kept this bread light and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love ginger so I know I'd love these. They look like such a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! Love the ginger in these sweet rolls.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ginger in sweet rolls... my mouth is watering. Lovely rolls.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I almost went with potato bread too Kelly. I love the substitution of ginger for cinnamon in these rolls.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the addition of ginger in these potato rolls.

    ReplyDelete