Pages

Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Grapefruit & Wasabi Chicken





A few days ago I was sitting at my desk, listening to the storm that was raging outside.My phone was vibrating several times but I was lost in thought and did not feel like paying attention. Emails, I figured. Whatever it was, it could wait. The notifications persisted. I snapped out of daydream and reached for the phone. I did a double take as I peered at the Google alert in my notifications.



Tornado???

In Miami???


I headed to Twitter. And there I saw tweets from the National Weather Service urging people to take cover. I glanced outside again and froze for a moment. I know next to nothing about tornadoes. I can tell you all about the hurricanes that I have been in while in Jamaica and Miami. You know about approaching hurricanes days in advance. You can stock up on food and supplies. Barricade windows and doors. Move cars to secure locations. But tornadoes are a whole new world. There really isn't that much time between "TORNADO WARNING" and "RUN FOR COVER IMMEDIATELY!" And where do I run to?

Thankfully, this was a small tornado and did very little damage. My heart goes out to those affected by the tornadoes in Arkansas some weeks ago. I had only recently read the news article about the final text messages a man sent to his mother. Truly heartbreaking.

Are you prepared for potential disasters? Do you know what to do in case of hurricane, tornado, earthquake blizzard or even fire?


There is really no good segue from tornadoes to this chicken. It was just something that I had to get out. For the Crazy Ingredient Challenge this month, we are working with grapefruit and wasabi. I was pretty sure that I was going to make some form of wrap but somehow that evolved to this chicken. Good stuff. I will definitely make this with and without the wasabi. Be sure to scroll down to see what the other bloggers made below.




post signature



Grapefruit & Wasabi Chicken

  Ingredients

1 chicken breast (Mine weighed 325g)
salt & pepper

Coating
1/2 cup water
2 oz flour
1 oz cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 egg white
1 teaspoon oil
salt & pepper 
1 1/2 cups panko breadcrumbs

Sauce

3/4 cup grapefruit juice
3/4 cup water or chicken stock
1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
2 tablespoon soy sauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon grated ginger
2 cloves garlic
1 - 2 teaspoons wasabi paste
2 tablespoons of cornstarch
1 tablespoon water

Directions

Cut chicken into bite size pieces and season with salt and pepper. Combine the batter ingredients (except the breadcrumbs) and allow to rest for 5 minutes.

Preheat oven to 400 F and grease a baking sheet.

Dip each chicken piece into the batter then into  the breadcrumbs and place on the prepared baking sheet. After all the pieces have been coated, bake for 15- 20 minutes or until completely cooked.

In a small saucepan, combine grapefruit juice, water, vinegar, soy sauce, sugar, ginger and garlic. Simmer and stir occasionally until all the sugar has melted. Let simmer for an additional 10 minutes so that it is reduced.Stir in 1-2 teaspoons of wasabi paste. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. In a separate bowl, make a cornstarch slurry by mixing the cornstarch with a tablespoon of water. Stir into the sauce. It should thicken. Turn off heat and coat the cooked chicken pieces with the sauce.



8 comments:

  1. You're right, tornadoes are no joke. 4 years ago four! F3 and F4 went through our city. It was devastating to say the least. There are neighborhoods that still lay in ruin!
    Now, this chicken sounds good! Great way to use the ingredients.
    Dawn
    Spatulas On Parade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot even imagine how horrifying that is. F3 and F4. Wow.

      Delete
  2. This sounds wonderful! What a a great use of the ingredients!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm from California so never experienced a tornado. We did have one in Salt Lake, but I was no where near it but the sky turned an icky green and was just plain weird. Love your chicken recipe for this months challenge. Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect use of the ingredients. I'll be pinning this for when I am off my medication that prohibits the ingestion of grapefruit. :)

    ReplyDelete